Persuasive Essays: Great Writing Tutorial For College Students
In order to write a great persuasive essay, you should follow some proven strategies. The following tutorial will guide you through the process.
- Give yourself as much time as you can. The best way to do this is to start immediately. Having the time you need to do a good job always has better results than rushing through it because you procrastinated for too long. Whether your paper is 5 paragraphs long or more, always have time on your side. You need to be able to brainstorm ideas, do some research if necessary, write, edit and proofread. When your efforts take place over a longer period of time you’re more likely to feel organized and focused in comparison to rushing through it in one or two days.
- Brainstorming – a persuasive essay requires you to have a solid viewpoint and a firm foundation of facts and details. Your entire paper will be based on attempting to persuade someone to agree with your viewpoint on a specific subject. Strategies for coming up with ideas:
- Choose a topic you have strong feelings about. Something you can take a firm stand on. If you don’t care much about your topic, it will be difficult to be persuasive in your writing. Find a topic you feel passionately about, either for or against.
- Your topic should have sufficient depth so you can pull out some complexities. For example, the topic of drawing with pencils doesn’t have much controversy or depth of emotion like the topic of animal cruelty does. A topic with many facets and two distinct sides makes better subject material than a shallow subject nobody cares too much about.
- Consider the different viewpoints people could possibly take when it comes to your topic choice. You will need to be able to find enough material to back up your viewpoint, as well as present the opposing viewpoint.